Freezer Fudge- Powerhouse Dessert
Add fresh mint or orange peel for an extra savory delight
Keep it simple and still enjoy how delicious it is!
Freezer Fudge- Powerhouse Dessert
This recipe is so quick and easy to make and is a nutritional powerhouse! It is delicious and melts in your mouth!
- 1 cup organic dates, seeded* ( see nutritional benefits at the bottom)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups raw nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, hazelnut)
- 1-cup raw cacao powder (see nutritional benefits at the bottom)
- ½ cup dried shredded organic coconut
- 2 tbsp raw coconut butter
Place the dates in a bowl and cover with the water and soak for about an hour or until soft.
Drain, reserving the liquid and blend the dates and vanilla until smooth in a blender (Vita-mix) or food processor. You may need to add some of the soaking water as needed to form a creamy consistency
Add the nut butter of your choice and pulse until combined
Add the cacao and the coconut and pulse until combined
Press evenly into a 10 by 18 inch pan. Crumble the coconut butter on top and press into the fudge.
Place in the freezer until firm – about 3 hours.
Cut to your desired size and enjoy!!!
*Tanya’s tip – You can make extra of the date puree and freeze it in 1-cup servings for later use. This will make it even faster the next time you make it. Also, the date puree does not freeze solid so it is ready to use and therefore doesn’t need time to thaw!
Want to try another great treat check out these Energy Bites.
Looking for organic raw ingredients – check out my all-time favourite store, Upayanaturals
Check out Healthy Snacks for Kids e-books, for more nutritious and delicious recipes for your kids!!
Ø Rich in dietary fiber which prevents dietary LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut
Ø Contains antioxidants known as tannins. Tannins are known to have anti-infective, anti-inflammatory and anti-hemorrhagic properties
Ø Good source of Vitamin-A which is known to have antioxidant properties and is essential for vision. Vitamin A also required in maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin A known to help to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers
Ø Rich in antioxidant flavonoids such as beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants have the ability to help protect cells and other structures in the body from oxygen free radicals and are found to be protective against many types of cancers.
Ø Zeaxanthin, an important dietary carotenoid that offers protection against age related macular degeneration in elderly individuals
Ø Excellent source of iron and rich in potassium. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids that help controlling heart rate and blood pressure; thus offers protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases
Ø Rich in minerals like calcium, manganese, copper and magnesium.
Ø Rich in B-complex group of vitamins as well as vitamin K. It contains very good amounts of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), niacin, pantothenic acid and riboflavin
Cacao has: For a full write up and where to get your cacao click below!
Ø Cacao is one of the BEST sources of magnesium of ALL foods. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and is associated with more happiness. Cacao is also high in the mineral sulfur; sulfur has traditionally been believed to build strong nails, hair, shiny skin, detoxifies the liver, and supports healthy pancreas functioning.
Ø Raw chocolate contains more than 300 known nutrient chemicals, and there are compounds in chocolate that may be associated with the good feeling that raw chocolate consumption provides.
Ø Cacao polyphenols have been scientifically shown to:
1. Lower blood pressure
2. Lower vascular cell adhesion
3. Increase circulating Nitric Oxide
4. Decrease platelet aggregation
5. Decrease rates of death from cardiac mortality and all mortality in general
6. Improve insulin sensitivity
7. Decrease fasting insulin
8. Increase blood flow to the brain
9. Inhibit plasma lipid oxidation
10. Decrease chronic inflammation in the body and cardio-vascular system in general.”
* Dutch researchers indicate that dark chocolate contains four times the amount of catechin antioxidants than black tea. With Raw Cacao Powder, it would be 28 times more than Black Tea and potentially 7 times the protection!
* In trials, doctors at Harvard found that Antioxidant compounds called Flavonols in chocolate help the body to produce Nitric Oxide, a compound essential for proper heart function