Black Bean Sliders
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced yellow or red onion
- 1 cup diced yellow or orange pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans (made fresh or canned (drain)
- 3 tbsp black or white chia seeds
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa (any colour)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped (optional, but very tasty- can presoak and dehydrate to release the enzyme inhibitors)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp yacon syrup (natural sweetener- could use real maple syrup or local honey)
- Salt to taste
Heat oil over low to medium heat and add garlic, onion and bell pepper
Cook until soft (about 5 minutes) removed from heat
Mix in remaining ingredients and mash up to a consistency that you like (I like to mash the black beans so that the patties stick together – I’ll leave some slightly squashed)
Place in refrigerator, covered for 30 minutes to allow chia seeds to swell and absorb the excess moisture.
Form the mixture into 8-10 small patties (sliders) and either freeze for later or cook in a frying pan with coconut oil over low heat about 5 minutes per side. Or, place in oven on broil (or toaster oven) for about 5-8 minutes.
Serve with Avocados, tomatoes and coleslaw or a great green salad and guacamole. I also love mango chutney on the side!
Please use local and organic ingredients where possible. I use Upayanaturals for the coconut oil, chia seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, raw walnuts, yacon syrup, nutritional yeast, coconut oil. Ingredients may also be available at your local health food store.