The benefits of chickpeas….Chickpeas are an excellent source of soluble fiber. In fact, one cup of these nutty tasting legumes supplies almost half a day’s requirement for fiber. The type of soluble fiber found in chickpeas is not only heart-healthy, but also helps to stabilize blood sugars. Studies have also shown that legumes such as chickpeas help to lower cholesterol levels. Their high fiber content makes them satisfying and filling so you’re less likely to head for the candy machine two hours after eating. Read more here
Chickpea Croquettes (Easy, quick and yummy)
· 1 cup chickpea flour (available at Bulk Barn) *
· 2 tsp ground cumin*
· 1 tsp chili powder*
· ½ tsp salt*
· ¾ cup hot water
· 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (slightly mash or more depending on how chunky you like them)
· ½ cup onions, chopped
· ¼ cup red or yellow bell peppers, diced
· ¼ parsley, chopped
· 2 tbsp lemon juice
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
- Whisk together *, add hot water and mix. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat skillet over medium heat with some oil so as not to stick. Scoop 1/4 –cup of batter to fit about 4 pancakes in the frying pan. Cook 3-4 minutes and then flip and let cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with mango salsa or experiment with other salsas. Serve plain or with sautéed spinach, Swiss chard etc.
- Enjoy. Freezes well and keeps for a week in the fridge.
See www.vegetariantimes.com Oct 2009 recipe section for a Greek Salad topping to accompany the croquettes.
Or how about this quick and easy bean salad!
Looking for more inspiration to get into your Skinny Jeans, order your copy of Get the Skinny on Skinny Jeans today!!