Curried Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
· 2 cups red lentils
· 1 qt vegetable broth
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 4 celery stalk, finely chopped
· 2 large carrots, finely chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1/4c cilantro
· 1 Tbsp curry powder
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Bring lentils, vegetable broth and 4 cups of water to a simmer in a large pot. Skim away any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add cilantro, curry powder, cumin and cook another 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice if desired.
- Freezes well.
Compliments of Vegetarian Times magazine
Tanya’s Freezing Tip – when the soup has cooled, write the soup name on the outside of a medium sized freezer bag. Divide the contents of soup into 3-5 bags. To seal the bag, zip-lock it most of the way and then use a straw to remove the rest of the air. Freeze flat and therefore makes for easy freezer storage!
Want more great recipes and meal plans for a healthier skinnier YOU – Check out Get the Skinny on Skinny Jeans e-book! Order your copy today!