Precession is the effect of bodies in motion on other bodies in motion. This term was made famous by Dr. R Buckminster Fuller. Let’s use one of his famous stories to explain precession:
Seemingly inadvertently, the honey-bee goes about his business of gathering honey (what you think may be the main objective). Precessionally, at ninety degree’s to his body and his flight path, his legs gather pollen from one flower and “accidentally “ take this pollen to the next flower, resulting in cross pollination. The outcome of this seemingly inadvertent accidental activity is that the bee contributes enormously to life on earth (the most important outcome). Of the 100 crop species that provide 90 per cent of the world’s food, over 70 are pollinated by bees.
Your main goal is to live an active and healthy life and in doing so you inadvertently affect many things around you:
- Your family sees you working out and you inspire them to health (health reduces health care costs, etc.)
- Your friends see you eating healthily and you inspire them
- You choose foods that are healthy, whole foods (not packaged) therefore reducing package waste which helps with the environment etc.
- You choose foods from your farmer’s markets because they are healthy & fresh and this again has multiple effects (you help the farmer, you cut down on transportation costs, you help the environment, you support your local economy etc.)
- You choose skin care products or household cleaners without chemicals and this effects the quality of your water (no chemicals going down your drain tainting the water supply and nature and animals) and the air that you breath
- You choose foods that are non GMO and this affects the bees, insects, animals, our land etc.
I could go on, but you can see that your main objective to be active and healthy affects more than you could ever know. Even though you may not even know of the exact consequences of your actions, be sure that you are affecting very positive change to those around you.
If you drop a stone into water, you get the ripples going out at ninety degree’s to the direction of the dropped stone. Your actions to be active and healthy are so powerful. Now on the flip side, perhaps you don’t work out, you eat packaged processed foods, you choose to buy products with nasty chemicals, etc.….you too are having an effect on your family, friends and environment. Can you imagine changing just one little thing? I often hear people say,”how can changing one little thing make a difference”, and I hope that today you realize the power that you actually have.
‘Nothing happens until something moves.” – Albert Einstein
Don’t let fear paralyze you. Begin today to make the smallest changes possible. If you are a pop drinker – change one drink per day to water, then when you are ready, change a whole day. If you haven’t been moving, do one squat, one tippy toe raise, then consciously make it two the next day. For precession to be most powerfully evident, motion is essential, and considered motion even more effective.
If you’ve seen the animated Bee Movie you’ll have an even better understanding of the importance of precession. If not, rent it and watch it with your kids – it’s a great movie.
“If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would have only four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.” – Albert Einstein
Precession is ALWAYS at work; all that differs is the end result. Are you either inspiring others to live a healthier life or you aren’t.
Many of you are already causing ripples of positive change by reading my monthly newsletters, coming to class and/or taking the Busy Mama Detox.
Just imagine how many more people we can help and inspire to be healthy just by doing so ourselves! As Mahatma Gandhi once famously said, “We must be the change we wish to see in the world.”
By improving your own health, you ARE improving the health of those around you and the health of our planet!
Yuri Elkaim, Total Wellness Cleanse