Today, you can find many alternatives for animal milk, yogurt, and other dairy products in the supermarkets. The number of people drinking and using them is rising, so there are a lot more options out there than there used to be!
Regular milk has a lot of potential negative effects on your body- including leeching calcium from your bones (yes- this is true!), causing inflammation in your body, and causing digestive problems because 75% of the world’s population is genetically unable to digest milk!
Even if you don’t feel the negative effects from drinking regular milk, I encourage you to give some of these other options a try!
- Almond milk – light and tasty; it also contains a lot of vitamins such as E and B, magnesium, calcium, iron, even healthy fats!
- Coconut milk – thick with subtle coconut flavor and high in healthy saturated fats.
- Cashew milk – has the least nutty flavor of all nut milks and it is also a great source of healthy fats, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc.
- Hemp milk – made from hemp seeds and has watery texture. It is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which is important for heart health.
- Rice milk – low in fat, neutral, easy to digest.
Since people have different tastes, I would recommend you experiment with a couple of different options to see what you like the best! Just make sure whichever option you choose is not loaded with sugar or other strange ingredients. Remember- the fewer the ingredients the better!
If you want to make your own at home, try this recipe
Almond Milk – so super easy!!!
- 2 cups water
- 10 almonds
- 3 drops stevia or 1 date
- ½ tsp vanilla
Blend in Vitamix until smooth. I don’t drain the pulp as some recipes may suggest. I just use it all!!! My husband finally tried this after years of me raving about it and says it’s fantastic and so much better than store bought- uh, huh, that’s what I kept telling him!!! Now if I could just get my kids to use it for a milk replacement!
Almond Milk (draining method)
- 1 cup almonds (soaked for 4 hours & drained)
- 1 date or 3 drops stevia
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp sea salt
Soak almonds, drain, and rinse. Mix with 4 cups water, dates/stevia, vanilla and salt in your vitamix until well blended. Pour into nut bag (see picture) and let liquid drain into large mason jar or lipped bowl. Search the web for pulp recipes or feed to your compost.
***Experiment with walnuts, pecans, hemp seeds for making different flavoured milks
Try these recipes
Don’t have time to make your own almond milk (it’s just a habit), then eat a handful of raw almonds which provide:
- a rich source of vitamin E, calcium, phosphorous, iron and magnesium
- contains zinc, selenium, copper and niacin
- frequently used as a healthy solution for relief from constipation, respiratory disorders, coughs, heart disorders, anemia, impotency, and diabetes
- helps in maintenance of healthy hair, skin care (psoriasis), and dental care
- A Toronto University study found that people can eat this amount daily without gaining any extra weight
- A Purdue University study showed that people who ate nuts high in monounsaturated fat felt full an hour and a half longer than those who ate fat-free food (rice cakes, in this instance)
I purchase my organic raw almonds, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia and nut bag from Upayanaturals.
Yes, I want the Dissolve Your Cellulite Freebie NOW, click here
Tanya Morrison has been in the Health/Wellness and Fitness Field for over two decades and has coached and trained many clients during this time. She is a certified Personal Trainer, Precision Nutrition Coach, Pilates/Aerobics/Yoga Instructor and more. She is the creator of the Busy Mama Reboot 28 day program, 10 Day Body Reset Detox, 30 Days to a New You, Holistic Weight Management System and many more on-line programs. To find out more about these life changing programs check out the testimonials and information at www.moveyourbody.ca
Tanya has created FREE Healthy Living Challenges that you can sign up for HERE, because even though we know all this “healthy stuff” it’s good to be reminded to keep it in our awareness. Tanya created the Busy Mama Healthy Mama Facebook page so that like-minded mama’s could get great healthy information and recipes in a fun and light-hearted way.
Tanya also teaches many different classes at Move Your Body Studio in Bobcaygeon, www.moveyourbody.ca and has written Healthy Snacks for Kids, Get the Skinny on Skinny Jeans & Living Vibrantly with Raw Goodness – Your Guide to Juicing & Blending, the 21 Laws of Irrefutable Fat Loss, How to Get Rid of Cellulite and more. Her blog, www.tanyamorrison.ca has lots of great articles to help you navigate your way to the healthy life you want, tons of recipes and great tips!
Tanya presents High Performance Nutrition for Kids and Teens, How to Become an Efficient Fat Burner, hosts Raw Smoothie Parties and many more presentations. Please contact her to set up your presentation.
Lifestyle Coaching Available
Are you in need of a Lifestyle Adjustment? Stumped about what to eat, how to move and what to think? Keep sabotaging yourself? Can’t lose weight? Exhausted?
How to get started
I don’t know where to start…I’m overwhelmed
Let’s chat. Click here to send me an email. Let me know your goal(s). I’ll email you back to arrange a time for your 30 minute complimentary discovery call. Coaching can be done via email, phone, skype or in person.
I’m ready to start and I’d like online coaching help
You are ready for guidance on how to choose your thoughts, move your body & balance your nutrition to give you the energy and waistline that you want and MORE. Learn more by clicking here. These programs are available on-line to anyone with internet access around the globe.
10 Day Body Reset Detox
I’m ready to start and I’d like to see you in person
Let’s arrange a time to meet. We can set up an introductory complimentary 30 minute consultation. During our time together, based upon your needs, a plan will be prepared especially for you. I look forward to hearing from you when you click here