Pomegranates- Power Fruit!
They may be tedious and time consuming to peel but well worth the effort as the seeds that lie beneath the surface possess tremendous POWER!!!
Make it a family affair!!!
It just so happens that we have been eating a lot of pomegranates lately (November in Canada) because they are flooding the stores and are a favourite in our household. While eating the seeds, I was reading Super Immunity by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and turned the page to discover the Subtitle – Pomegranates- Superheroes in Disguise. Here are some of the points that he makes in his book.
· The juice and seeds possess antioxidant and anticancer properties, including interference with tumor cell proliferation, cell cycle invasion and angiogenesis
· The juice contains antioxidants such as polyphenols, tannins and anthocyanins which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-atherosclerotic properties in mice and humans
· Inhibit breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer and leukemia and prevent vascular changes that promote tumor growth in lab animals
· Inhibit angiotensin-converting enzymes and naturally lower blood pressure
· Reverse atherosclerosis and reduce excessive blood clotting and platelet clumping, factors that can lead to heart attacks and strokes
· Contain estrogen-like compounds that stimulate serotonin and estrogen receptors, improving symptoms of depression and helping build bone mass in lab animals
· Reduce tissue damage in those with kidney problems, reduce the incidence of infections and prevent serious infections
· Improve heart health
It’s a great snack! Just like popcorn but much better for you!
So as you are running out to the grocery store to pick up your pomegranates, please leave some for our family too!!!
There are many ways to peel a pomegranate. I cut it in half and then quarters and then gently pull the seeds out. Just don’t’ wear a light coloured shirt!!
It’s hard to resist eating the seeds while peeling but do your best!
Eat the pomegranate seeds as a snack, throw them in your salads, great in kid’s lunches as a fruit option, as a side with homemade waffles, be creative and ENJOY!
Looking for more great snacks. Pick up your copy of Healthy Snacks for Kids today.