Feed your Brain!
Omega 3′s are an Essential Fatty Acid that are lacking in our diets (Our brain cells are made up of 60% fats or lipids. They form the insulating layer or myelin sheath, that covers all nerve cells) You must eat them as your body does not produce them!
Fats don’t make you FAT. The proper fats are ESSENTIAL in order for your body to work properly! This does not include french fries, meat, trans-fats etc. The essential fats (omega 3 and 6) stimulate the immune function and fight inflammation. They support optimal brain function!!!
Ø Make up basic elements of our cell membranes
Ø Control inflammatory response
Ø Control hormone production
Ø Mediate immune response
Ø Regulate Nerve transmission
Ø Allergies, asthma, eczema, constipation and learning disabilities have all been linked to a deficiency of Omega 3s
Ø Proper amounts of Omega 3s improve school performance, learning, focusing on tasks and behaviour in children
Ø Helps with Brain and Cognitive Health, Cardiovascular Health, Rheumatoid Arthritis
Sources of Omegas 3s
Adding a heaping tablespoon or more to your daily diet of either or all- chia, ground flax and hemp seeds- will put your on the right path to getting your healthy fats!
Chia Seeds (we put them under the peanut or almond butter on celery)
· The richest plant source of omega 3s fatty acid
· Excellent source of protein, minerals, vitamins, fiber, vitamin B and antioxidants
· One to 2 tbsps of soaked chia daily Ø I put them on my kids toast (Ezekiel English muffins) or in their smoothies. In fact, they put it on. I want them to know that they are eating it and the health benefits they are receiving from it. Depending on the age of your children – I shall leave that up to you!!
For 10 more reasons to add chia seeds to your diet, click here
· High in lignans and omega-3s
· Excellent source of protein, lecithin, minerals, vitamins, fiber
· Must be ground to be absorbed into your body- keep in fridge or freezer
· One heaping tbsp contains 2 grams of alpha-linolenic acid
· Mix it in with smoothies, enjoy Red River Cereal, add ground flax to muffins, stews etc.
· Well-balanced ratio on omega 3 to omega 6
· Complete protein
· Excellent source of amino acids
· Can consume Hemp milk, add to smoothies or sprinkle on salads. I put them on my kids toast (Ezekiel English muffins). In fact, they put it on. I want them to know that they are eating it and the health benefits they are receiving from it. Depending on the age of your children – I shall leave that up to you!!
Fish oils and Tablets
· You can swallow the capsules or use Udo’s oil in your smoothies or salad dressings Great to add in to your pet’s meals
· If buying capsules make sure they are enteric coated so you are not regurgitating fishy smell! Take 1000-2000mg of fish oil daily as a supplement according to the label instructions.
· The ideal ratio of Omega 6s to Omega 3 is 1:1. Unfortunately with the over consumption of breads, cereals, eggs, poultry, nuts, vegetable oils, and processed foods the ratio is now between 20:1 and 30:1 which causes numerous health problems. Get your Omega 3s today!
Want more great Healthy Snacks for Kids (and yourself!!)
Your quick & easy guide for:
You’re in a hurry and don’t want yet another stop at a drive through or snack bar….
Your kids are in sports and you want to feed them prior to the game for lasting energy…..
Your kids just got off the ice, the court, or the field, what’s the best choice for nourishing their growing bodies and recovery….
Tournament time…what healthy snacks can I pack???
Your child is THIRSTY, what’s best to quench their thirst?
….This e-book is for you!
Filled with cooler ideas, tips for hydration, healthier eating, eating out, how to get your kids to help you and so much more!!
Pick up your copy today
Tanya has condensed so much information into this ebook and made it so easy for you to keep your kids energized when needed, properly hydrated and living healthy. Nutrition has a major impact on your child’s performance on and off the ice (field/court), and Tanya has organized everything you need to know in this great ebook.
Dr. Hyla Cass MD