Mexican Chicken Soup (from Martha Stewart)
Years ago one of my girlfriends made this for me and I loved it. My kids love dipping whole organic nacho chips into the soup and scooping it up! Enjoy this wonderfully warming soup.
4 chicken, bone-in, skin on salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil 2 cups onions (2)
1 cup celery, chopped 2 cups carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped 10 cups chicken broth
1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes 1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 tsp cumin 1 tsp coriander seeds
6 (6”) tortillas
Sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheddar and broken nacho chips. Serves 6-8 and freezes well.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cook chicken (cover with salt and pepper) for 30 minutes or until done. Let cool. Shred meat off bones and throw away bones and skin (or make a chicken stock).
- Heat oil. Add onions, celery, carrots and cook over med heat for 10 minutes,
- Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, whole can of tomatoes, jalapenos, cumin and coriander.
- Cut tortillas in ½’ strips and add to soup.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, add chicken and season to taste.
- Serve hot topped with sliced avocado, cheese, sour cream and broken nacho chips!
Tanya Morrison has been in the Health/Wellness and Fitness Field for over two decades. She is the creator of the Busy Mama Detox which is a 12 week program that runs in January, April and September of each year. To find out more about this life changing program check out the testimonials and information at www.busymamadetox.com. Tanya also teaches many different classes at Move Your Body Studio in Bobcaygeon, www.moveyourbody.ca and has written Healthy Snacks for Kids, Get the Skinny on Skinny Jeans & Living Vibrantly with Raw Goodness – Your Guide to Juicing & Blending. You can get your PDF copy here