When the Craving for Chocolate Hits…Enjoy these Fabulous Treats
Yes, chocolate is GOOD for YOU, so go for the DARK, raw or cold-pressed kind and thoroughly enjoy these tasty treats
When I need my chocolate fix, here are some of my go to’s:
- Raw Chocolate Macaroons
- Chewy Chocolate Balls
- Freezer Fudge
- Raw Chocolate-Chia Energy Bars
- Energy Bites
- You won’t believe this Chocolate Cake
- Raw Chocolate Pudding
For even more Raw Chocolate treat recipes and smoothies, email for your complimentary e-copy of The Skinny on Chocolate. Everything you wanted to know about chocolate right at your finger tips! And if you don’t want to eat it…put it on your skin!
Why is Cocoa (Chocolate) so good for you?
Cacao is one of the BEST sources of magnesium of ALL foods. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and is associated with more happiness. Cacao is also high in the mineral sulfur; sulfur has traditionally been believed to build strong nails, hair, shiny skin, detoxifies the liver, and supports healthy pancreas functioning.
Raw chocolate contains more than 300 known nutrient chemicals, and there are compounds in chocolate that may be associated with the good feeling that raw chocolate consumption provides.
- Cacao polyphenols have been scientifically shown to:1. Lower blood pressure
2. Lower vascular cell adhesion
3. Increase circulating Nitric Oxide
4. Decrease platelet aggregation
5. Decrease rates of death from cardiac mortality and all mortality in general
6. Improve insulin sensitivity
7. Decrease fasting insulin
8. Increase blood flow to the brain
9. Inhibit plasma lipid oxidation
10. Decrease chronic inflammation in the body and cardio-vascular system in general.”* Dutch researchers indicate that dark chocolate contains four times the amount of catechin antioxidants than black tea. With Raw Cacao Powder, it would be 28 times more than Black Tea and potentially 7 times the protection!* In trials, doctors at Harvard found that Antioxidant compounds called Flavonols in chocolate help the body to produce Nitric Oxide, a compound essential for proper heart function
- 1-2 scoops High Quality Cold-Pressed/Raw Option Protein Powder (such as Vega or Sun Warrior) or 1 tbsp hemp or flax seed and 1 tbsp raw cacao powder (can increase this to 2 tbsps of each)
- 1-2 cup water or almond milk or coconut water (depending on how thick you like your shakes)
- 2 tbsp raw almonds or almond butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 frozen banana
Chocolate Raw Macaroons
I love coconut and one day I had a craving for chocolate macaroons but wanted a healthier version. These treats are so delicious, simple to make and nutritious.
- 2/3 cups raw cacao powder
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil (if not in liquid state heat slightly)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla
- 2 cups shredded organic coconut
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp organic cranberries chopped into tiny pieces (optional)
- 2 tbsp of your favorite nut chopped into tiny pieces (optional)
Mix cacao powder, maple syrup, oil, vanilla together until smooth. When blended add in coconut and any or all of the optional ingredients (I love the hemp and cranberry combo)
Using a small spoon or melon scoop form 12-18 macaroons and place on parchment paper in a freezer safe container. Freeze until firm and can be stored for up to 30 days in fridge or freezer if they last that long!
Chewy Chocolate Balls!
- 2 cups almond or peanut butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder or ¼ cup raw chocolate protein powder
- ½ -3/4 cup local maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp raw coconut butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt or pink hymalian salt
- Combine all ingredients by hand or in your food processor
- Roll into balls
- Place in freezer
- I love adding chopped candied ginger, chopped up raw chocolate, coconut, nuts or goji berries. Be creative and add what you like!
Freezer Fudge- Powerhouse Dessert
Figure 2Secret ingredient to great tasting puddings
This recipe is so quick and easy to make and is a nutritional powerhouse! It is delicious and melts in your mouth!
- 1 cup organic dates, pitted* (see nutritional benefits at the bottom)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups raw nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, hazelnut)
- 1-cup raw cacao powder (see nutritional benefits at the bottom)
- ½ cup dried shredded organic coconut
- 2 tbsp raw coconut butter
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with the water and soak for about an hour or until soft.
- Drain, reserving the liquid and blend the dates and vanilla until smooth in a blender (Vita-mix) or food processor. You may need to add some of the soaking water as needed to form a creamy consistency.
- Add the nut butter of your choice and pulse until combined
- Add the cacao and the coconut and pulse until combined
- Press evenly into a 10 by 18 inch pan. Crumble the coconut butter on top and press into the fudge.
- Place in the freezer until firm – about 3 hours.
- Cut to your desired size and enjoy!!!
*Tanya’s tip – You can make extra of the date puree and freeze it in 1-cup servings for later use. This will make it even faster the next time you make it. Also, the date puree does not freeze solid so it is ready to use and therefore doesn’t need time to thaw!
Raw Chocolate-Chia Energy Bars
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whole chia seeds (heart healthy omega-3 fats)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds or raw shelled pistachios
- Place dates in food processor and puree until thick paste forms
- Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and hemp, vanilla and almond extract, if using.
- Pulse until all ingredients are combined
- Add almonds and pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed
- Make 2 separate balls and flatten on wax/parchment paper
- Wrap tightly and chill
- Cut into bars or just pull a piece off when you want it.
I made these (with all options included) and I like them. When you feel like a little something sweet or chocolaty it hits the spot. Very easy to make.
For more information on the benefits of dark chocolate, click here.
To purchase your healthy chocolates, check out UPAYA link
For even more Raw Chocolate treat recipes and smoothies, email for your complimentary e-copy of The Skinny on Chocolate – The Number ONE Longevity Food -your key to living Longer. Everything you wanted to know about chocolate right at your finger tips! And if you don’t want to eat it…put it on your skin!
Whip up your Chocolate Smoothies in your very own Vitamix!!! Enjoy free shipping when you click here, and enter your free shipping code 06-005828
What fixes your chocolate craving??? I’d love to hear your ideas.