Why eat Dandelions?
Hold off on the weed spray…..soon you will be living in a sea of yellow, a landscape of golden kisses that you can use for your health instead of spraying and negatively affecting our environment.
From the leaves to the roots this typically thought of pesky weed can be invaluable to your health.
- Chock full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. High in Calcium, rich in iron, low in calories, 14% protein
- One of the most nutritionally dense greens you can eat
- Many medicinal qualities
- They are potassium-rich and have a strong diuretic quality, as well as efficacy as a blood detoxifier and good for the liver.
- They have long been used to treat digestive disorders and to treat arthritis and eczema.
Okay, so maybe you don’t want to include them in your diet but according to many websites, including www.thesurvivalmom.com, dandelions are actually little yellow flags that pop up to tell you there is some type of imbalance to your top soil. Not a weed that is bent on taking over your tomatoes, but actually an attempt to help aid in their growth by replenishing the soil of what it is missing.
They are actually the initial step in the improving and restoring of a stripped or ruined area of soil back to its balanced and hospitable growing environment. Their wide-spreading roots loosen hard-packed soil, aerate the earth, and help reduce erosion. The tap root of the dandelion brings calcium from deep in the soil and makes them available to other plants. Wherever you see dandelions peering out over green turf and turning it gold, the earth is being rejuvenated!
So, be kind to your yard, the dandelions are actually helping you. Now back to eating and drinking them…..
When to pick Dandelion leaves:
Spring is the best time to harvest the dandelion leaves…get them before they flower if you can. Pick them in an area that is NOT by the road or that may have been sprayed…I want you to have the best tasting dandelion leaves possible!!!
You can also pick them in the fall but they may be bitterer (which, however, is good for your liver).
How to use Dandelion leaves:
- Add them to your salads or sandwiches (chop them up into little pieces and add them in with your other greens)
- Sautee or steam as you would any other green veggie. If you are skeptical, add them to your existing greens and slowly introduce you taste buds to them.
- Add them to your smoothies, such as my creation Wild and Crazy Morning Energizer Smoothie
- Blend them with some water and make dandelion ice cubes. I did this last year and have been using them all winter in my smoothies. You could also add a few to your soups and stews.
- Juice them with other greens (such as cucumber, celery), apples and lemon.
Dandy Detoxing Smoothie This is a nourishing and refreshing detoxing smoothie. Add all of these ingredients to your vitamix or blender and enjoy.
- 4 tender, large fresh Dandelion Leaves
- Small bunch of Arugula Leaves
- Big Handful of Romaine or other mild Lettuce
- Juice of a Lemon
- Peeled and chopped Cucumber
- Sweet Red Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove, peeled Garlic, chopped
- Turmeric, Salt, Pepper to personal taste
- 1/2 teaspoon organic Stevia powder
- 1 – 1.5 cups filtered water
- 2-6 ice cubes
Not in the mood for a smoothie…try this lettuce dandelion sandwich
Dandelion Herbed Boat
- 2 full curved romaine lettuce leaves boats (this will be your bread)
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 -1 Large Hass Avocado, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper, turmeric to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1/4 Cup arugula or other lettuce that you like, roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 Cup Baby Dandelion Leaves, roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
- Line the tomato slices on the romaine lettuce.
- Mix the avocado to the juice of one lemon all together.
- Mix the arugula and dandelion leaves together and you can either place on top of tomatoes and then top with avocado mixture or mix the leaves in and scoop it onto the lettuce…whatever floats your boat!!
Personal Training & Nutritional Coaching Available In Person & Online
Are you in need of a Lifestyle Adjustment? You know what to eat but you just can’t seem to put together a plan to get the results you want. Or are you stumped about what to eat, how to move and what to think? Do you keep sabotaging yourself? Can’t lose weight, inches or fat?
How to get started
I don’t know where to start…I’m overwhelmed
Let’s chat. Click here to send me an email. Let me know your goal(s). I’ll email you back to arrange a time for your 30 minute complimentary discovery call.
I’m ready to start and I’d like online coaching help
You are ready for guidance on how to choose your thoughts, move your body & balance your nutrition to give you the energy and waistline that you want and MORE. Learn more by clicking here
Busy Mama Reboot – 3 weeks to a more energetic & trimmer you.
Busy Mama Detox – 12 weeks to shrink your fat cells.
I’m ready to start and I’d like to see you in person
Let’s arrange a time to meet. We can set up an introductory complimentary 30 minute consultation. During our time together, based upon your needs, a plan will be prepared especially for you. I look forward to hearing from you when you click here
Tanya Morrison has been in the Health/Wellness and Fitness Field for over two decades. She has coached and trained many clients over the decades. She is a certified Personal Trainer, Precision Nutrition Level 1 Nutrition Coach, Pilates/Aerobics/Yoga Instructor and more. She is the creator of the Busy Mama Reboot 3 week program and the Busy Mama Detox which is a 12 week program that runs in January, April and September of each year. To find out more about these life changing programs check out the testimonials and information at www.busymamadetox.com. Tanya also teaches many different classes at Move Your Body Studio in Bobcaygeon, www.moveyourbody.ca and has written Healthy Snacks for Kids, Get the Skinny on Skinny Jeans & Living Vibrantly with Raw Goodness – Your Guide to Juicing & Blending. Your lifestyle is an accumulation of choices which become habits. With Tanya’s guidance and education you will naturally start to make healthier choices with simple shifts. It is when you start to focus on your health that your weight will naturally come off or your health will improve. You must take pleasure in the journey, not be racing to the finish line.
Want more…check out these dandelion websites…..